2004 Friendship 40' (12.19 m) Friendship 40
Wickford, Rhode Island, United States
Absolute unrivaled quality is synonymous with the Friendship Yacht Company. Incorporating many elements from his large custom yachts, designer Ted Fontaine has created the FRIENDSHIP 40, a luxury daysailer whose concept has been imitated, but by no means equaled.
Flag of Registry: United States
- Daysailers / Cruisers
- Fiberglass Hull
- HIN/IMO: XKU40001E404
|Highest pedigree classic day sailor ever produced|
|Original showboat for this very successful series|
|Upgraded main engine|
|Generator and reverse cycle air con|
|Notable Upgrades: Automated sailing systems, A+ “showpiece” care, the Best value in today’s, market, Sailed lightly in New England summers only, Slip and continued care available in Wickford, RI.|
|Date Listed: 03/16/2023|
$ 575,000 USD
€ 533,916 Euros
$ 776,298 CAD
£ 463,103 GBP
Tenderly is celebrated in grand fashion as being the original showboat for this very successful first-class day sailor. Always looked after by the most critical eyes and discerning check books she yearns for nothing more than to please her next owner and fortunate guests who sail aboard her.
Fresh varnish and gleaming paint throughout adorn while she sits gracefully and patiently in her heated storage facility awaiting spring commissioning.
Wait no longer to make a deal. Her owner is off enjoying a larger cruising boat so needs to pass her along to another loving caregiver.
4Yacht, Inc. is pleased to assist you in the purchase of this vessel. This boat is centrally listed by Northrop and Johnson. It is offered as a convenience by this broker/dealer to its clients and is not intended to convey direct representation of a particular vessel
LOA: 40' 9'' (12.42 Meters)
Type: Sail- Used
Beam: 12' 10''
LWL: 30' 3''
Draft Max: 9' 2''
Draft Min: 3' 11''
Double Berths: 1
Maximum Speed: 9 Knots
Cruise Speed: 7 Knots
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Air Conditioning: Yes
Fuel Tank: 35 Gallons (132.49 Liters)
Fresh Water: 52 Gallons (196.84 Liters)
Displacement: 22500 lbs
Designer: Ted Fontaine
Builder: Friendship Yachts
Photos click to view all
- Engine Make: Yanmar
- Engine Model: 4-Stroke
- Engine Type: Inboard
- Drive Type: Sail
- Power HP: 40.00
- Power KW: 29.83
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- New Yanmar 40 horsepower engine with sail drive 2017
- New North Sails Code Zero 2016
- New Simrad 4HD Radar and Chartplotter 2018
- New Awlgrip topside paint 2016
- Refurbished teak decks 2016
- New interior and exterior soft goods / upholstery 2017
- Soda blast bottom and renew epoxy barrier coat and anti-fouling paint 2016
- Refurbished steering system
- Re-chromed Compass
- X-Ray inspection of rigging – 2016
- New Frette Bedding and Linens – 2018
TENDERLY’s elegantly crafted interior boasts hi-gloss varnished, raised-panel teak joinery, a tongue and groove ceiling with a satin painted finish, comfortable settees, a functional galley and full standing 6’4” headroom, she maintains an impressive spaciousness for a boat of her size. With an abundance of storage, including custom dish storage and a pull out trash bin, TENDERLY is the perfect venue for sunset cocktails or long weekend excursions. Share drinks at the drop leaf table, refresh yourself with a shower in the fully appointed head and get a good night’s sleep in the large double centerline berth.
TENDERLY has been described as the perfect boat for “8 to sail; 6 to eat; 2 to sleep. While TENDERLY is intended to accommodate a couple, the wide settees can be used to sleep additional friends who stay after dinner or for children, who insist on tagging along for the ride. The galley currently incorporates a deep refrigerator, microwave/toaster combo and coffeemaker; it is possible to add a twin burner cook top.
More than a day boat TENDERLY marries a classically sculpted profile with a high-performance shoal draft underbody. Her spacious, ergonomically perfect cockpit is surrounded by a wide teak coaming, framing an expansive seating area unrivaled in her class. The low profile cabin top provides a full 360° sightline, which enables a clear view from her bow to her stern.
The advanced electro-hydraulic sailing system found onboard TENDERLY brings new levels of ease to sailing. An in-boom furling mainsail unfurls at the press of a button. The mainsail is effortlessly trimmed with two Antal foot buttons located at the base of the helm. Hydraulic panel for backstay and boom vang Foot buttons for bow thruster and mainsheet The roller furling genoa is fluently controlled with the two-speed push-button primary winches located on either side of the helm. To avoid clutter the jib furling lines are led below the deck.
TENDERLY’s cockpit features a Garmin 5208 touchscreen color chart plotter with radar overlay (custom fit in a pull-out-stainless housing), a Simrad autopilot, and two recessed B&G full-function displays. The drop leaf table houses storage compartments, glass and wine bottle holders, and an insulated compartment for cold drinks.
TENDERLY was outfitted with a new North Sails main, genoa, and asymmetrical cruising spinnaker in the summer of 2014, as well as new interior and exterior cockpit cushion covers. Having been maintained by a full-time professional captain and shoreside management team TENDERLY is in perfect condition.
Hull: Composite construction using Airex foam in the topsides with solid laminate hull bottom using vinyl ester resin to minimize print-through. Reinforcements are hand-laid, stitched, and knitted multiaxial E glass fabrics with carbon fiber in high-load areas. Bulkheads are marine-grade plywood laminated into the hull. All cores are fixed using vinyl ester adhesive.
There are two molded custom consoles for hydraulics, sail controls, and engine instruments. Molded recessed sheer strake.
Finished with Flag Blue Awlgrip.
Deck: Composite construction using Airex foam with the extra high-density core being used in way of all fittings. Reinforcements are hand-laid, stitched, and knitted multiaxial E glass fabrics with isophthalic polyester resin.
DECK AND DECK HARDWARE
- Deck: All vertical surfaces finished with glossy cream-colored gel coat, cabin house top in Awlgrip nonskid.
- Cap Rail: Varnished teak.
- Sheer strake: Varnished teak.
- Anchor Locker: Molded into foredeck with flush, hinged hatch top. Anchor roller, self-launching, with 35lb. Delta anchor, 60m of 6mm chain.
- Windlass: Lewmar V2 electric stainless steel anchor windlass with remote control.
- Chocks: Custom cast stainless steel: two-quarter chocks, two midship chocks, and two bow chocks big enough to accommodate bulky mooring lines.
- Cleats: Five Attwood flush-mounted retractable mooring cleats with 4-bolt bases.
- Nosing: Varnished teak.
- Ports: Six custom fixed tinted glass elliptical ports in the cabin trunk.
- Winches: Two electric Antal 2-speed self-tailing primary winches with 2.6:1/9:1 gear ratios and 48.6:1 power ratio. Two electric Antal 2-speed self-tailing halyard/centerboard/mainsheet winches with a 2.4:1/7.6:1 gear ratio and 44.8:1 power ratio. All winch buttons are recessed stainless steel Antal hardware. Two Antal lightweight 250mm lock-in handles with ball grips.
- Hardware: Antal winch buttons, radiused genoa T-track, genoa cars and sliders, organizers, screw-in pad eyes, stoppers, silver anodized sheaves.
- Hatches: Three custom-made, flush teak deck hatches: lazarette, foredeck, and anchor locker. One custom stainless steel hatch with glass over the salon/forward cabin. Varnished teak companionway sliding hatch with removable varnished teak drop boards with a lockable clasp, and custom storage bins. Four hinged stainless steel Manship hatches under cockpit settees, two for storage, two for engine access.
- Ensign: 5’ varnished teak flag staff and 3’x 5’ US yacht ensign flag.
- Accessories: Four custom 12” x 24” line bins for halyard/sheet tails and four custom drink holders in the cockpit all with polished stainless steel trim and lining.
- Cockpit sole: Teak deck on the cockpit sole with custom angled helmsman floor.
- Sheet stoppers: Mainsheet, centerboard, topping lift to starboard. Main halyard, main reefing line, MPS halyard to port. Using Antal sheet stoppers and passing through Antal triple deck block organizers.
- Trim: Varnished teak cockpit coaming cap, 6” wide. Varnished teak cabin top nosing. Varnished teak cap rail. Four varnished teak console tops. Varnished teak framed companionway sliding top with stainless rails. Varnished teak cockpit seat fiddles.
- Seating: Molded cockpit seats finished with gel coat, choice of color. Port and starboard facing settees in the cockpit, forward-facing settee behind the steering wheel, all with double angle backrests for ergonomic comfort. All settees come with custom bottom and backrest cushions, 4” total thickness. All cushions are upholstered in Perennial's outdoor fabric.
- Cockpit Table: Custom varnished teak drop leaf table. Table houses GPS plotter, 12V outlet, and insulated, drained cold beverage box with custom varnished teak covers. Stainless steel legs.
- Steering Wheel: 48” stainless steel wheel with stainless steel rim and elk hide cover.
- Pedestal: Classic steering pedestal with thru-shaft break and custom stainless steel constellation binnacle with stainless steel guard/handrail.
- Stowage: Storage areas under the port and starboard settees. Two stainless steel sheet-rimmed bins one each port and starboard by the helm. Two stainless steel sheet-rimmed bins one each port and starboard by companionway for halyard/sheet storage at the base of each winch.
- Scuppers: Custom stainless steel design, four in the cockpit, four on deck, all with direct overboard drainage.
- Exterior Luxury Package: Custom dodger with zip-out side curtains, recessed stainless steel tracks, and elk hide-covered grabrail Danforth stainless steel constellation binnacle. Stainless steel braided hoses for hydraulic backstay and vang. Stainless steel chafe plates in cockpit coaming for jib sheets. Lights at mid-boom and boom end with dimmer switches. Varnished teak wine bottles and glass holders on the underside of cockpit table lids. Hand-held fresh water shower on the aft deck with flush plate and hot/cold mixer tap. Stainless steel folding swim ladder.
- Interior Finish: Satin varnished teak veneer finish on fore and aft joinery. Hull ceilings painted white v-groove. Solid teak with a satin finish for interior trim, locker door and drawer frames, and corner posts.
- Overhead: Painted white v-groove overhead.
- Soles: Varnished teak with black resin inlay.
- Locker Doors: Framed edges with solid flat fielded panel teak with satin finish varnish.
- Drawers: Solid beaded flat panel teak with lift and pull drawer slides and custom cast bin pulls.
- Table: Solid teak drop leaf table in the main salon.
- Countertops: Corian in galley and head, with radiused edges at facia and teak fiddles.
- Sinks: Stainless steel underhung sink in galley, glacier white Corian sink in the head.
- Faucets: Grohe stainless steel faucet in galley and cross-handle mixer tap in the head.
- Shower: Grohe hand-held shower unit mounted on the head bulkhead.
- Drainage: Head sole varnished teak and black resin with edge drain to sump and direct overboard discharge pump.
- Fixtures: Towel bar, soap dish, toilet paper holder, toilet brush, and tumbler holder.
- Microwave: Sharp microwave/toaster mounted on a teak shelf in galley locker.
- Coffee Maker: Keurig one-cup coffee machine on pull-out shelf ]in galley locker.
- Refrigerator: Custom stainless steel lined fridge box recessed in galley countertop with removable plexiglass shelving.
- Berths: Double berth forward with 5” thick cushion. Settees are used as additional berths. Stowage shelves and lockers above settees with teak fiddles.
- Fabric: All exterior upholstery Perennials outdoor fabric. Includes cockpit settee cushions, backrests and throw pillows. Main salon cushions, zip-on bed cover, and pillow shams in custom interior fabrics.
- Interior Luxury Package: Raised and fielded panels on all drawers and doors Drawers in aft face of salon table Pull-out shelf for coffee maker. Custom oversized trash bin in lower galley locker. Custom canvas padded mast wrap.
- Engine: Yanmar 40 HP 4-stroke sail drive engine. Fresh water cooling, Racor filter, and heavy-duty 135 amp alternator. Oil change pump included on the engine.
- Bowthruster: Lewmar 6kw tunnel thruster, controlled by foot buttons at the helm.
- Air conditioner: Marine Air CruisAir elite, 12000 BTU
- Gauges: Custom stainless steel recessed engine instrument panel with Faria gauges for the tachometer, oil pressure, fuel level, and freshwater levels.
- Gearshift: Morse-type single-control gearshift and throttle near helmsman.
- Fuel Tank: 35-gallon welded translucent polyethylene fuel tank with inspection/clean-out port located under the cockpit sole and gauge on the instrument panel.
- Filter: Racor fuel filter. One spare is supplied if an optional generator is purchased.
- Vents: Vent line with Racor LG100 vent spillage filters.
- Steering: Whitlock drag and link steering system.
- Rudder: Balanced, elliptical spade rudder constructed with uni-directional glass rovings and 4” diameter carbon fiber shaft with roller-type rudder bearings.
- Bilge Pumps: Two 12V automatic Jabsco bilge pumps and one cockpit-operated Whale manual pump.
- House Batteries: Four 8G8D Endurant 12V DC batteries, 840 Amp hours total.
- Starting Battery: 12V DC 650 CCA Endurant battery.
- Distribution: Custom DC backlit panel with circuit breakers and battery condition meter.
- Alternators: Engine supplied standard alternator to charge starting bank, additional Leece-Neville 12V DC 130 amp alternator supplied to charge house bank.
- Shore Power: 125V / 30 amp shore power connection in the cockpit with a 50’ cord.
- Battery Switch: Battery bank switch with DC main breaker.
- Inverter: 12V DC / 120V AC, 2000W, Xantrex inverter to be switched on the main AC electrical panel. Inverter shall power the microwave and 110V outlets.
- Interior Lights: Four reading lights, five dome lights, and courtesy lights at the forward and aft end of the salon table. Centerline dome light with red/white selection switch. The engine room will have utility lights.
- Exterior Lights: Masthead tri-color and anchor, bow, stern, spreaders, foredeck, and two boom lights.
- 12V Outlets: One 12V plug is located in the cockpit for searchlight use.
- 110V Outlets: Five 110V plugs: galley, head, forward cabin, starboard side salon, and engine room.
- Audio Package: Clarion CMD5 radio/CD player, with iPod holder and hook up, Pioneer speakers in salon, and exterior Nautica speakers in cockpit. The wired remote is located at the helm.
- Water system: Hot and cold pressure water system to the galley, head, and shower.
- Water Tank: 52 gallons of water capacity in two independently valved tanks.
- Water pump: Jabsco FloJet self-priming water pump.
- Water Heater: Force 10, 6-gallon tank to be powered by AC electrical heating element and from recirculating through the main engine.
- Toilet: Tecma Silence Short electric freshwater toilet with overboard/holding tank discharge. Holding tank with overboard drain/pump out a discharge.
- Bilge Pump: One automatic 12V DC bilge pump mounted in the engine room. The pump will discharge overboard at the waterline with vented loops. One manual Whale bilge pump operated from the cockpit.
- Sump Pump: One automatic 12V DC bilge pump with direct overboard discharge.
- Thru-hulls: Forespar flush-mounted sea cocks below the waterline for engine, head, and galley with double-clamped hoses.
SPARS, RIGGING, AND SAILS
- Mast: Aluminum mast, Awlgrip finish with two sets of airfoil spreaders, steaming light, internal masthead wire conduit, stainless steel gooseneck, vang lugs, and halyard attachment step. Mainsail track for a fully-battened mainsail. Two flag halyards to lower spreaders.
- Boom: Aluminum boom with fittings for single reef lines, vang lug, and topping lift/mainsheet bale. One light at mid-boom and one at boom end with dimmer switches.
- Standing Rig: Rod rigging with Navtec turnbuckles and stainless steel covers.
- Running Rig: 12mm braided main halyard, 10mm braided genoa halyard with eye splice to shackle to furler swivel. 12mm braided genoa sheet. Stainless steel genoa halyard adjustment on mast track.
- Chain Plates: Custom stainless steel chainplates, stem head, and backstay tang.
- Boom Vang: Polished stainless steel hydraulic Navtec vang.
- Backstay: Polished stainless steel hydraulic Navtec backstay.
- Mainsheet: Hydraulic mainsheet trim, controlled by buttons at the helmsman’s feet.
- Furler: Reckmann genoa furler controlled by a two-speed electric winch on the starboard side of the helm.
- Genoa Tracks: Two 5’ x 1.25” Antal stainless steel T-tracks with two genoa lead blocks.
- Compass: Stainless steel constellation binnacle compass with red LED.
- B&Gs: Two B&G Hydra 3000 graphic function displays with masthead wind sensor and depth, and speed transducers.
- GPS: Garmin 5208 touch screen system with plotter located in cockpit table.
- VHF: One Icom IC-M504 VHF radio is located in an electrical locker.
PAINT AND FINISH
- Hull: Awlgrip Majestic Blue.
- Deck: Cream gelcoat and Moondust nonskid.
- Bottom: Epoxy primed, classic green anti-fouling paint.
- Boot Stripe: Single stripe, Awlgrip Matterhorn white.
- Cove Stripe: Molded, painted with light gold.
- Exterior Teak: Minimum of ten coats of gloss finish varnish.
- Interior Teak: Satin varnish.
- Boat Name: Name and hail port painted on the transom.
OUTFITTING AND SAFETY EQUIPMENT
- Four leather and lambskin fender holders custom fit for cap rail.
- Four 40’ double braid dock lines.
- Four 8” x 20” fenders with double braid lines and black fleece covers.
- Two custom-made spruce fender boards.
- Stainless steel bars in the foredeck hatch and cockpit hatch for hanging spare lines.
- False bottom in aft cockpit locker for easy storage.
- Boat hook mounted in foredeck hatch.
- Four adult and two child lifejackets.
- Four fire extinguishers are mounted throughout the boat.
- EPIRB mounted in lazarette.
- Flare kit with storage box.
- Hose, bucket, deck brushes, and all cleaning supplies.
- Whipping kit with storage bag.
- One engine spare kit and metric tool kit with necessities provided.
- Custom cockpit table cover
- Custom binnacle cover
- Sun awning – custom tent over the boom with stainless steel spreader bars, bracket, and storage bag
- North Sails Norlam 7 oz. mainsail with traditional battens
- North Sails Norlam 7 oz. 110% genoa
- North asymmetrical spinnaker
- North Code Zero
Friendship 40 Owner’s Manual, all equipment manuals, construction drawings and all systems schematics.
The company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change or withdrawal without notice.
Engine and generator hours are as of the date of the original listing and are a representation of what the listing broker is told by the owner and/or actual reading of the engine hour meters. The broker cannot guarantee the true hours. It is the responsibility of the purchaser and/or his agent to verify engine hours, warranties implied or otherwise and major overhauls as well as all other representations noted on the listing brochure.